Re: [SLE] RedHat -v- SuSE 8.0 - My opinion
  • From: Monte Milanuk <milanuk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 07:09:59 -0700 (PDT)

--- Dave Smith <Dave.Smith@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > > They used to differ slightly in contents as there's a bit more
> space
> > > on the DVD. But even if YaST2 complains, you're able to continue
> > > working, so what's the hassle?
> > >

> > The hassle is the apparent error message which doesn't tell me if
> it's OK to
> > procced or not. If it doesn't cause a problem why am I warned?
>
> a) Because if the packages *do* still differ slightly between
> versions,
> then some people would want to know - there's an equivalent
> counter-
> argument...
>
> b) Because SuSE are busy making the rest of the distro work smoothly,
> rather than prioritising trivial things like this...

I have to agree w/ Al on this one. I have a small home LAN w/ a DVD
drive installed on the server, just for the express purpose of serving
the install medium to the other SuSE Linux boxen on my little net. If
I do a network install w/ floppies (doesn't always go very smoothly w/
7.3 at least), mounting the DVD via NFS, no problems later. If I
install locally w/ a CDROM, then every darn time I want to access the
networked DVD, YAST2 bitches at me at least a couple of times. Very,
very annoying. Try putting up w/ it on a regular basis, and you'll
find it is very non-"trivial". I posted the problem here a while back,
and someone pointed me to their hack/solution, but I could never get it
to work right. IMHO, this is something that perhaps YAST2 should be
smart enough to handle. YMMV.

Monte

=====
"All right, breaks over. Back on your heads! ;)"