SuSE 8.0: fine improvements
  • From: Thom Nuzum <nuzum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 21:23:17 -0400
I'm very satisfied and no problems apart from the fact that my HP laserjet
3100 is an unsupported linux device. Wish I knew if I could at least scan
with the thing.

KDE3 is slick as is all of SuSE 8.0. Its very refined and you get a n ice
install without all the zillion of extra things. More integrated feel to
everything.
Also it comes with Galeon: I like this as I don't have the time to compile it
from scratch.

The manuals have some German text in them throughout: rush job no doubt: Hey
SuSe: if you need a proof-reader I can do your manuals in about 2 hours. $50
cheap.

This may sound silly but: Miss the STICKERS: none in box for the kid.

HP:
Anyway HP you really suck even though you are beginning to get smart on Linux:
I got a second-hand laserjet 3100 from one of my students and had to pay $40
for the a-c connector and there are no drivers at all and must buy the
jetsuit disk too. Its unbelievable that they sell printers without cables or
software.

Personally I think its silly to wait for a newer releases in order to get the
bugs out: 8.0 has all the fixens from its predecessor and its only with newer
packages (Galeon, Vega Strike, etc) that you may have problems.

Thom Nuzum