Re: [SLE] Question from non-SuSE user
  • From: Michael Hasenstein <mha@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:13:07 -0700

Recently, I tried out Mandrake and that distro has an
update feature that allows you to connect to the
Mandrake "Cooker" to download and install new versions
of various RPMs. I can also install rpms that I have
not previously installed from these ftp sites and the
program will resolve any dependencies and either ask
me for my installation disks or, I belive, download
the necessary dependencies.

Does SuSE's YaST support a similar type of update
feature? I tried 7.3 in the past and I cannot
remember how YaST worked. Is it pretty painless or do
you have download updated rpm's and resolve
dependencies manually?

YOU (YaST Online Update) takes care of the updates and the regular yast package installer takes care of the regular package installations incl. automatic dependencies.

Michael