Email Server III and SuSE Firewall....
  • From: "Michael Garabedian" <mikejr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:13:14 -0400
Ok...now I just got two new eservers in and it is awesome...

I want to put SuSE Firewal on one and Email Server III on the other

Both are PIII 1Ghz processors
ATA100 Raid with two 20.4 GB hard drives 7200RPMs
Two network Cards... 100MPs (in each one)

Except one has 256 MB memory

The other has 512 Mb Memory

Now 24,000 dollar question is:

Would it be better to use the 512MB as the firewall or Email Server III

I would think that since the firewall is just throwing packets back and
forth that I don't need something with a lot of memory.

While the email server will be dealing with Cyrus Imap, Skyrix Green,
Apache, plus getting muptiple users using different functions of the
server.

I would think that you would want the one with more memory for Email
Sever III.

Would I be way off base?

Or would it make much of a difference if I used an older PIII 700mhz
machine for the firewall and give it lots of harddrive space for the
logs.

Would it make sense to have such a high end machine for a firewall?

Michael Garabedian
Consultant
Emergys Corporation
6340 Quadrangle Drive Suite 360