Re: [SLE] Machine locks up when starting KDE
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 17:14:25 +0200
On Thursday 25 April 2002 16:50, Cleary_Mike@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I have not been able to get sax2 to use 1600 x 1200 resolution
> w/ my 21" monitor. I can pick this resolution during the configuration
> but every time I test X or start KDE, the max resolution I
> get is 1280 x 1024. I tried re-running sax2 several times w/
> no luck. I once had to re-install the 2880 drivers because it
> couldn't load glx for some reason. (But KDE started fine after this).

I have found that sax2 misses to enter my monitor's resolution correctly in
XF86Config and I have to enter it manually. Getting a max resolution of
1280x1024 could perhaps be because of this. check your monitor's specs for
horizontal sync and vertical refresh and check that that is really what's in
XF86Config.

> I "startx" , get the nvidia splash screen, and KDE starts coming up.
> It continues past the KDE splash screen startup routine, throws up
> my background, and then as soon as it starts to put up desktop
> icons, everything freezes solid.

If you get a working X that (probably) means the problem is in KDE. Have you
tried one of the "lighter" window managers, like fvwm or blackbox?

> You worry too much about your job. Stop it. You're not
> paid enough to worry.

I always worry. It adds spice to life

Anders