Re: [SLE] Polish That Disk
  • From: Mark Hounschell <markh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 08:12:07 -0400
Charles Griffin wrote:

> --- Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On Thursday 25 April 2002 14:22, Anon. Coward wrote:
> > > Again, I do not care about the bully orthodoxy, to
> > prove anything.
> >
> > Have you read any books by Martin Gardner? If you
> > haven't let me recommend to
> > you (and others) Fads and fallacies in the name of
> > science. Another is
> > Science - good bag and bogus.
> >
> > While they're not strictly on topic here they do
> > make a brilliant read, and
> > give an insight into the mind of the
> > pseudo-scientist.
> >
> > One thing you'll learn from reading those books is
> > how the pseudo-scientiscs
> > handle themselves in an argument. A common feature
> > is that their arguments
> > consist of two parts: one true, moderately easily
> > checked and verifiable,
> > thus lending credence to the other part which is
> > generally filled with very
> > complex, frequently made-up, technically sounding
> > words that don't mean
> > anything.
> >
> > Another feature is when the opponent refuses to
> > believe the - ofter
> > preposteruous - conclusions, and that is screaming
> > about "orthodoxy". This
> > word, outside the religious world, is most
> > frequently used by
> > pseudo-scientists to characterize their opponents.
> > The idea is to compare
> > themselves in the minds of the laymen unqualified to
> > look through their
> > arguments to such scientific rebels such as Einstein
> > and Galileo; after all,
> > weren't those greats also ridiculed by their
> > contemporaries.
> >
> > The big difference of course is that Einstein and
> > Galileo backed up their
> > arguments by falsifiable statements and were
> > prepared to admit if they were
> > wrong (it happened).
> >
> > For examples of this in the current computer world
> > see Steve Gibson - and Mr.
> > Coward.
> >
> > regards
> > Anders
> >

> FWIW, when I tried to install SuSE 7.3 on my second
> hard drive (a Maxtor), which had been subjected to
> three or four other distro installations, it just
> wouldn't install. It kept hanging at various points
> during the installation. So, I went to the Maxtor
> website, downloaded their little low-level format
> program, and proceeding to perform a low-level format
> on the troublesome drive.
>
> The next time I tried to install 7.3, it worked
> flawlessly. Now, I don't know if the low-level format
> utility did the trick, or if it was just a
> coincidence, but I do know that when I get around to
> trying 8.0, I'll be firing up that little Maxtor
> utility.
>
> Just my $0.02.

Many hard drives grow errors with use. The low-level format generally finds these "bad spots"
and adds them to the "so called" grown defect list. This makes the space unseen by the higher-level reads/writes. This is very normal. These Grown errors happen for many reasons
ranging from poor manufacturing proceses to defects in material used. The drives made today are much less likey for this to happen but it still does and should still be considered normal.

Mark