Re: [SLE] Backup software for Windows partitions on multi-boot system?
  • From: Philip Amadeo Saeli <psaeli@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 21:12:45 -0700
On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 00:24:20 +0000, Tor Sigurdsson <tosi@xxxxxxxx> thusly
enscribed:

>You could using tar, but it won't preserve the DOS 'attributes'

True. Same (I assume) for cpio, etc.

>You could also take a copy of your partition table ( dd if=/dev/hda \
>of=backup.bin bs=512 count=2 skip=1 ) and use dd top copy the partitions
>( dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/st0 bs=4096 # keep the blocksize the same as \
>the optimal blocksize on tape )

Hmmm, right, guess if I restore to identically-sized partitions on the new
drive, dd should work just fine. (Wish there was a version of dd that added
CRC info; guess I'm just a bit paranoid.) Tnx for the partition table dd info
- I knew how to do that on Sun SPARC systems, but not on PCs.

It would be nice, however, to have a backup that would allow selectively
restoring files if I decide to do a clean installation of Windows on the new
drive. Any ideas on that?

I guess if worse comes to worse, I could attach the [SCSI] tape drive to the
laptop and do the backup that way if there is no easy way to do Windows
backups over the network to a UN*X system.

Thanks!

Phil

--
Philip Amadeo Saeli