Custom SuSE kernels?
  • From: Alex Daniloff <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:56:24 -0700
Hello SuSE folkz,

Is it really nessesary to use SuSE custom compiled kernels from their
website with SuSE distro instead of using plain kernel from
kernel.org?
What are advantages of using Mantel SuSE kernels over the standard
ones? Isn't it true that if you need any additional kernel modules or
features you can just patch the kernel or compile them in?

I always use plain kernels with additional modules (e.g. ALSA) and I
never have had any problems. In the same time when I tried to
customize SuSE default kernel to my needs, I was always hitting a
wall of missing headers and other incompatibilities.
Could somebody please enlighten me on this issue.

Thank you.
Alex