Re: [SLE] Mutt with cable modem.
  • From: "Theo v. Werkhoven" <twe-suse.e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 23:09:27 +0200
On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 09:34:19AM +0700, Brian Durant wrote:
> On Monday 22 April 2002 04:03, Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
> - I'm not sure I'm following you here Brian, to what listing are you
> referring? - Whenever there's a POP server listening one can telnet to it and
> read mail, - delete stuff etc., provided of course a valid USER & PASS is
> available. - More secure would be to use APOP, where no plain passwd or
> username travels the - lines, or to setup a ssh tunnel between the ISP and
> the workplace.
>
> What I mean by listing is a listing of the read online capability. SUre,
> there was list, dele, reter, stat, as you mention, but I couldn't find
> anywhere on RFC1939 mentioned a reading capability. Or is it just me?

Ah, ok. With 'LIST' you get a list (surprise) of available messages numbered
from n=1 to n=<# mails>, with 'RETR n' you read the message you're
interested in.
It's possible to just read the headers with POP, if the server implements
the TOP msg n command:
If the POP3 server issues a positive response, then the
response given is multi-line. After the initial +OK, the
POP3 server sends the headers of the message, the blank
line separating the headers from the body, and then the
number of lines of the indicated message's body, being
careful to byte-stuff the termination character (as with
all multi-line responses).

I'm pretty sure you could have found this yourself in the RFC btw..

HTH, Theo
--
Theo v. Werkhoven
ICBM 52 8 24N , 4 32 40E.