Re: [SLE] Upgrade
  • From: Keith Winston <kwinston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:31:53 -0400
On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 06:57:59PM +0200, Nick Selby wrote:
> Thanks, Keith. So I guess the last question is, once I have the newly
> installed /etc/ file, do I just un tar and zip the old one over the new
> one? Am I not then clobbering something that may have been new and
> improved? Or is it all the same?

This is an upgrade, right? If so, you can't assume that all the files
will be in the same location or the same format. So, I would recommend
untaring your old /etc in your home dir, for example, then compare the
old config files to the new ones for the services you need to tweak and
make the necessary changes. That's probably not the answer you wanted,
but is the safest way to go. Many things won't need to be changed, so
focus on things that are not working the way you want.

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+