Re: [SLE] Upgrade
  • From: Nick Selby <php@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 18:57:59 +0200
At 10:28 AM 4/22/2002 -0400, you wrote:
On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 03:38:41PM +0200, Nick Selby wrote:
> I have made a tarball of my entire /etc/ directory, as well as my entire
> /home/nick directory (the only home directory I really care about) for good
> measure and stored both on another machine. My questions are:
>
> 1. Assuming the world ends and the new install melts my hard drive, if I
> make a brand new install and then replace the newly installed /etc/
> directory with my backup, AND I copy into the newly installed /home/nick
> directory, will that actually have all my stuff working as it is now?

If you install the same version of SuSE with the same software, you
should be covered on config. However, it won't restore your web content
(defaults to /usr/local/httpd/htdocs), or your MySQL databases or other
data you have stashed in various places.

> 2. Is /etc/ the only place where important config files are? I have a
> fairly straightforward setup, though I have set up apache, PHPMyAdmin and
> MySql I haven't really done anything to those other than set up hosts for a
> coupole of local domains that I use for web development. Is /etc/ really
> enough?

Except for custom packages you may have installed, I am hard pressed to
come up with packages that don't have their config files stored
somewhere in the /etc tree. There may be some, but I can't think of any
offhand.

Thanks, Keith. So I guess the last question is, once I have the newly installed /etc/ file, do I just un tar and zip the old one over the new one? Am I not then clobbering something that may have been new and improved? Or is it all the same?

Thanks again,
nick