Re: [SLE] Mutt with cable modem.
  • From: "Theo v. Werkhoven" <twe-suse.e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 23:03:22 +0200
On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 10:52:23AM +0700, Brian Durant wrote:
> On Saturday 20 April 2002 19:00, Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
> - telnet pop.isp.domain pop3
> - user <name>
> - pass <word>
> - list, dele, retr, stat
> -
> - See RFC1939
>
> Interesting reading Theo, but I didn't see a listing for reading mail on the
> POP3 server anyplace. Can I therefore assume that reading mail on the POP3
> server is not supported?

I'm not sure I'm following you here Brian, to what listing are you refering?
Whenever there's a POP server listening one can telnet to it and read mail,
delete stuff etc., provided of course a valid USER & PASS is available.
More secure would be to use APOP, where no plain passwd or username travels the
lines, or to setup a ssh tunnel between the ISP and the workplace.

Theo
--
Theo v. Werkhoven
ICBM 52 8 24N , 4 32 40E.