SuSe 8.0 kernel crashes on swapping(?)
  • From: Graham Murray <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 09:19:04 +0100
I have just had a painful experience upgrading from 7.3 to 8.0. I
took the opportunity to upgrade my HD at the same time - so I
archived off /etc, /home etc to tape and did a new install to the new
disk. All went well for a while, but as soon as I started to try and
actually do anything, the PC hung solid with the Caps Lock & Scroll
Lock lights flashing on the keyboard and the Disk light on
permanently. A few iterations (and many hours) later, I worked out
that the points it was crashing were about the time I would expect it
to start swapping, and knowing that one of the kernel hackers who
works for SuSe is making changes to the VM system, I thought that
maybe the SuSe kernel (kernel_dflt) had some "tweaks" to the VM
system which my system did not like. So I disabled swapping and built
& installed the 2.4.19-pre7 "stock" kernel (which is what I was using
on 7.3) and have had no problems since.

My system is a PIII 600MHz, Intel i820 chipset, 256M RAM.

< Previous Next >