Re: [SLE] start up screen
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 06:54:22 +0200
On Sunday 21 April 2002 05:16, Thomas Nicholson wrote:
> This may be marginal for on topic, but I'd like to ask if anyone
> knows how SuSE programmed the green-gray-white opening screen with
> the salamander and the scrolling text box in the middle?

It's a chamaeleon. Geeko the Chamaeleon is SuSE's mascot/logo.

> My version is 7.2. And it's the screen I see from lilo boot up till
> shutdown.
>
> My guess is that it has something to do with the generic VESA video
> driver and the builtin framebuffer device. But that's pretty low
> level stuff. Could it be they have an X server running?

No X, it is the vesa framebuffer, as you suspect. IIRC, in 7.2 the screen is
hardcoded in the kernel sources. Look at
/usr/src/linux/drivers/video/fbcon-splash.c. In 7.3 it was moved to the
initial ramdisk, so the image can be replaced without recompiling the kernel,
but in 7.2 that was still necessary.

> I have a project in mind that could use an environment like that
> opening screen. A graphics language for middle school kids to
> introduce them to programming concepts. The suse list for American
> schools seems relatively dead. The UK one has a little activity.
> Thanks, Tom.

Sounds like a good idea. I suggest you download the splashanim package from
the 7.3 tree. That should give you a few ideas on how to program for the
framebuffer.

Anders