Re: [SLE] hfsutils/KDE error.
  • From: Tor Sigurdsson <tosi@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 09:35:16 +0000

Brian Durant (laugardagur 20. apríl 2002 07:44)
> I am trying to access an HFS formated Zip drive at /dev/sda4. I invoked
> "hmount /dev/sda4" from root, exited the console, and clicked on the Zip
> drive icon on my KDE 2.2.1 desktop. The following error popped up:
>
> "Could not mount device. The reported error was:
> mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified."
>
> What am I doing wrong and how can I get HFS formatted Zip drives to mount
> automagically on my desktop the same way I can with DOS/Win formatted Zip
> drives? I am using SuSE 7.3 Pro.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brian

Your /etc/fstab probably states that /dev/sda4 should be mounted with vfat
or some other PC filesystem.

As you have already mounted the drive with hfsutils, why don't you just
open up a konqueror filebrowser, and type "file:/zipdrive" where you replace
"zipdrive" with the actual mount location of your zip disk ?

You could also duplicate the zip line in fstab, replacing the filesystem
column with hfs and changing the mountpoint to /mnt/maczip or something,
then you could create another zip icon on your desktop, spcifically to mount
MAC zip disks :-)

- -tosi

- --
This mail is sent using KMail and Linux.
Thus it is 100% guaranteed virus free.