Re: [SLE] SuSE 7.2 and 40Gb HD
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 01:19:42 +0200
On Saturday 20 April 2002 00:44, Alfredo Cole wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have recently bought a new computer P4 1.4 Ghz and a 40 Gb HD. It
> comes with WinME preinstalled, so I thought I'd do a dual boot
> installation with SuSE 7.2 personal. After the installation
> completed, and I rebooted the system, all I got was a screen full of
> "01" and no load. Using the CD1, I am able to load into Linux, but no
> way to do Windows. I tried Mandrake 8.1 PowerPack, and it works fine,
> so I went back and did SuSE one more time. No luck. Is this a
> LILO/SuSE problem? Any workarounds? Thank you.

L01 is an error that usually indicates wrong disk geometry settings in lilo.
When you boot into linux using the CD, edit /etc/lilo.conf and look for a
line with either "linear" or "lba32" on it. I'm guessing you have "lba32".
Try changing that to read "linear", then run /sbin/lilo and try rebooting.

For more information on the lilo error codes, run "gv
/usr/share/doc/packages/lilo/user.ps.gz". On page 44 is a list of the
possible errors that can occur and what they mean.

Anders