Re: [SLE] How many Fonts
  • From: Patrick <tracerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:40:29 -0400
On Thursday 18 April 2002 07:59 am, Praise, commented about:
> Il Thursday 18 April 2002 12:08, Brian Marr ha scritto:
> > Suse 7.1 kde 2.2.2 XF86-4.2.0
> >
> > I am loading a lot of fonts onto my system at the moment. They are
> > both Truetype and Type 1 postscript. Having access to a lot of
> > different fonts is important for Graphics. I am wondering if having
> > a lot of fonts (hundreds) will cause problems for my system.
> >
> > Can all the Truetype go into one directory ? - it will be big.
> >
> > Brian Marr
>
> Well, that's what I did. I had XFree 4.1.0 though. After that, I have
> had some problems in Kde2.2.2: it displays help and email in Kmail
> with absurd characters. It happen only with ISO-8859-1 and 15 (the
> only I really need). I have no solution against it, but it is the
> only problem I have experienced with that.
>
> Praise
=======================
Praise,
Almost every system I have worked with has a limit of viewable fonts.
Some even refuse to show fonts if there are too many in the fonts
directory! I suspect Linux is no different in the number of fonts it
will show available for use. I am not an expert on Linux so can't
actually say how it will handle 300+ different fonts, but I suspect you
will hit some limits in KDE or whatever program you want to use.

Patrick
--
---KMail 1.3.2--- SuSE Linux v7.3 Pro---
Registered Linux User #225206