Re: [SLE] Best graphics card?
  • From: Jónas Helgi Pálsson <jonas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 12:08:34 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Derek Fountain wrote:

> > SuSE is not at fault here
>
> Yes it is. SuSE is shipping a product which just doesn't work. If it doesn't
> work they should say "not supported", preferably on the box, but at least as
> part of the installation. I don't care about the politics, I care about
> whether it works or not.

Again no, not SuSE's fault. SuSE includes a dummy driver for nVIDIA cards,
which in "most" cases works, but without 3d-acc. Then you have to get the
driver from nVIDIA's website to get full 3d-support.
How is it when you install Windows on a machine? Windows detects a
standard VGA card and asks you to supply the drivers yourself, which are
on a CD that you got with the graphics-card. Windows does not include the
drivers. They are included with the card. The card does not come with
Linux drivers, so whom are we to blame?

nVIDIA whom does not allow SuSE and other Linux dist. to include their
drivers, and does not include it with the card?
Or SuSE for not been allowed to get you up'n'running without a hazzle.

I vote for nVIDIA.

> I'm hoping that SuSE will have done something sensible for 8.0, like stop the
> X configuration until the RPMs can be acquired (via the internet or
> whatever), then running a script to plug in the right bits before running
> sax. i.e. automate the hoops that need to be jumped through in order to make
> it work properly.

It does the same as Windows, as long as it hasn't got the right drivers it
uses standard drivers. Without bells'n'whisles

> > P.S. It is amazing to see that the complaint level is so much higher for
> > nVIDIA graphics card then WinModems. Maybe if they were called winVIDIA
>
> That's because no one claims that Winmodems will work flawlessly. If SuSE
> made it clear that nVIDIA graphics cards don't work properly without extra
> help then no one would be complaining.

You want YaST to stop up during the install and ask for the driver CD from
nVIDIA (which you can't provide). That would be good if only we had the
CD.

regards
Jonas

--