Re: [SLE] Best graphics card?
  • From: Derek Fountain <fountai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 08:01:19 +0100
> > How will SuSE-8.0 cope with nVIDIA graphics hardware? I persuaded a
> > colleague to install 7.3 on his box and was horribly embarassed by
> > the way it repeatedly crashed as soon as KDE was running.
> >
> > Once I'd got the latest nVIDIA drivers in place it was fine, but the
> > whole installation experience wasn't a good advertisement for "easy
> > to install" Linux!
>
> ========================
> Derek,
> My guess is to put the blame where blame is due in this case! Blame
> nVidia and the graphics card included in the laptop. This can't be

I wasn't looking to aportion blame. The machine is a desktop, not a laptop,
and it's a supplied office machine. Like most people in an office
environment, we at IBM don't get to choose the hardware the company puts in
front of us.

The nVIDIA setup in 7.3 just didn't work out of the box for the machine I
tried it on. It locked the machine solid. I don't care who's fault it is, I
just wondered if SuSE have made efforts to ensure their product works better
for 8.0.

--
7:57am up 42 days, 16:20, 2 users, load average: 0.20, 0.13, 0.13