Re: [SLE] Best graphics card?
On Tuesday 16 April 2002 15:43, Mads Martin Jørgensen wrote:
> * Kaare Rasmussen <kar@xxxxxxxxxxx> [Apr 16. 2002 15:29]:
> > I think it's time to get a new machine. SuSE 8.0 comes with exciting 3D
> > games :-)
> >
> > But what is the "best buy" for a graphics card? My hardware friends tell
> > me about
> >
> > ATI Radeon. Should be powerful compared to the price
> > GForce 2. Not as good as Gforce 3, but cheaper
> > GForce 3. Very fast but expensive
> > GForce 4. ???
>
> I would stay away from nVidia chips completely and use Matrox. Maybe the
> performance is not as good, but with Linux you stay clear of all that
> stupid, senseless, buggy binary-driver-only hell.

Hmmmm wonder what I have been doing wrong then. I have a GeForce2 and have
had zero problems with it in combination with SuSE7.3. The HW acceleration
works fine. I can play Wolfenstein with all the detail settings on maximum,
Armagetron with max detail settings. This is with a clean install of 7.3 and
the YOU updates for nVidia.... no futzing around with anything.

Are the problems people have had related to a combination of hardware, and
not just some wonkey binary drivers from nVidia?

C.