Re: [SLE] Re: Corel Wordperfect 2000 for Linux
  • From: Brian Durant <durant@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 10:02:01 +0700
On Tuesday 16 April 2002 07:59, Doug McGarrett wrote:
- Why would any sane person try to learn emacs when there are so many simple
- GUI word processors and even low level text editors that are easily
accessable - available?  An IT person might need emacs if there is no GUI on
his system, - or even "edit" but for anybody else, just use a standard
editor. - Just my 2c plain.  (I suppose that emacs might do some print-ready
- layout, if one were super sharp.  But there are lots of other things -
that do that, like StarOffice, for instance.)

Don't get me started on StarOffice ;-) I know I may make myself quite
unpopular on the list, but seen from the viewpoint of an international user,
StarOffice sucks big time. It unfortunately is a typical US centric product.
While it does support a relatively large number of languages in the "deluxe"
or whatever version, it is not available outside of the US. Only the
"standard" whatsit version is.

As of yet, I don't believe (someone correct me if I am wrong - I haven't
looked at SO since v. 5) that StarOffice supports bi-directional text
processing (I don't need it, but there are a lot of people that do), nor do I
believe that it supports the ability to write in Kanji, Cyrillic, Arabic;
Hebrew (example) and English, Danish, French or whatever in the same
document. There have also been people on the list complaining about footnote
support problems as well.

Nisus Writer was what I used on the Mac and I have yet to meet its match.

Why would any sane person consider using emacs? If you read the thread, you
would know that what I was ruminating about was that there were certain
criteria that many people look for in office/text software and whether it is
GUI or not isn't necessarily the first criteria:

1) How does XY stack up against MS Word/Office (.doc version support, .rtf
support, und alles)?
2) Will support/development for XY vaporize?
3) How does XY bring me closer to cross-platform integration in my workplace?
4) Is XY GUI or command line? How steep is the learning curve?

If you have some suggestions that fit the above criteria and also has decent
international capabilities, please enlighten myself and the rest of the list.
Many people seem to be interested in this topic.

For a more general discussion on GUI versus command line, I would suggest the
excellent book: "In the beginning... was the command line" by Neal
Stephenson, author of "Cryptonomicon".

Cheers,

Brian

< Previous Next >