Re: [SLE] Re: Corel Wordperfect 2000 for Linux
  • From: John Scott <fyrbrds@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:58:53 +0200

durant@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Monday 15 April 2002 06:41, David Johanson wrote:
- A quick note about CrossOver Office. I purchased the program and with
- all the tech support Codeweavers offered, it won't even install on my
- SuSE 7.1 SCSI box. Comment from Codeweavers was to upgrade to version 8
- and try again. I note that MANY others are having similar problems, so
- while some may find it works for them, that is definitely not the case
- for all.

What is wrong with this picture? Applixware appears not to be supported anymore. There have been complaints in Linux Format (UK) about a lack of support for Win4Lin problems. They only support I have ever tried to get from SuSE was outside their support parameters. Looks to me like a business model problem, at least seen from the customer's point of view. <snip>

Brian

When I respond to someone's question as to whether or not a product will help them, I try to be objective and give general advise based on how the product will most likely work for them. One thing I avoid is "This product is crap because it didn't work for *ME*." If you read the codeweavers mail list (which I do) there are various issues with various programs that are consistent i.e., they are posted over and over, and there are other issues which involve one person and his particular machine/setup. Saying I'm using SuSE 7.1, 7.2, etc., doesn't tell the whole story because *my* problems with package x most likely has to do with a conflicting rpm that I installed 6 months ago, my library versions, or a jillion other possibilities. If I've seen 12 other people in the last week report the *exact* same problem I've had, I'll conclude it's a bug and advise the newbie to wait until this bug is fixed. If *I* couldn't make it work that doesn't mean there is something wrong with the product. At any rate, I just wanted to give Thomas objective information that can help him make an unbiased and informed decision. Hopefully, I've done that.

As for codeweaver's support, I've opened support tickets and got the answers I needed. I have no complaints there.

John

< Previous Next >