Re: [SLE] Re: Corel Wordperfect 2000 for Linux
  • From: Brian Durant <durant@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:18:25 +0700
On Monday 15 April 2002 12:25, Togan Muftuoglu wrote:
- On the other hand, using Emacs as your editor and using DocBook XML
- Slides DTD ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/docbook ) with DocBook XSL
- StyleSheets you will have your Powerpoint Slides and you can produce
- output in any format PDF, PS, HTML, XHTML, Text, MIF, RTF. So the
- real question is do you have the time to learn a new method as with
- docbook content and style are two different things.

Wow, sounds interesting, thanks Togan. My understanding of many of the
postings on this thread however, was not just a concern about output, but
being able to fit into an office or other work environment where documents
are shared and/or transfered between computers, which means for the majority
of us "cross platform" integration of some sort. In the end, it all comes
down to being "Word compatible" or "MS Office" compatible. Command line or
GUI seems to almost be incidental next to that. Of course, there are many,
myself included, that have a background in another OS (in my case Mac) and
feel naturally more comfortable using GUI. On the other hand, I would be more
than willing to learn something like Emacs (despite what I understand to be a
high learning curve) if I was sure that it would get me where I want to go.

For many, newbies, choice is the problem, particularly if one is not sure how
long product XY will be supported/developed. In the final instance, I think
many would make their decision according to the following:

1) How does XY stack up against MS Word/Office (.doc version support, .rtf
support, und alles)?
2) Will support/development for XY vaporize?
3) How does XY bring me closer to cross-platform integration in my workplace?
4) Is XY GUI or command line? How step is the learning curve?

Two more cents back at you ;-)

Brian

< Previous Next >