Re: [SLE] Re: Corel Wordperfect 2000 for Linux
  • From: Togan Muftuoglu <toganm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:25:09 +0300
* Brian Durant; <durant@xxxxxxxxxx> on 15 Apr, 2002 wrote:
I ask, because I understood that Emacs was sort of a Swiss Army Knife for much of what is needed within word processing. While I haven't used it yet, I understand that there is minimal spreadsheet and graphics support now, but of course there is no Power Point type module. Are there command line word processors out there that work as well as Word or WordPerfect, or is that part of the problem?

With Emacs you can do lot's of things the question is IMO how do you
want to do it ? If you want to do it the "GUI" way click Next click Next
I do not think emacs will suit your needs.

On the other hand, using Emacs as your editor and using DocBook XML
Slides DTD ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/docbook ) with DocBook XSL
StyleSheets you will have your Powerpoint Slides and you can produce
output in any format PDF, PS, HTML, XHTML, Text, MIF, RTF. So the
real question is do you have the time to learn a new method as with
docbook content and style are two different things.

If you want to produce simple documents name it articles whitepapers
then Docbook Simple DTD should be sufficent, if you are interested in
making technical documents then DocBook XML/SGML will mostly satisfy
your needs.

If you want Websites then DocBook WebSite DTD will help you in producing
the webpages.

Now all this is possible with Emacs basicly using these DTD (Document
Tyep Definitions) and you are producing valid XML files which you can
apply the proper stylesheets and achieve quality results.

HTH
--

Togan Muftuoglu
Unofficial SuSE FAQ Maintainer