Re: [SLE] KDE3 rpm's moved
  • From: Ben Rosenberg <ben@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 19:02:19 -0700
* Anon. Coward (quantum@xxxxxxxxxxx) [020413 18:25]:
::.
::I've repeatedly suggested to ppl here NOT to try such a fundamental upgrade,
::yet I keep seeing agony.
::
::System is so complex you should install what comes on the CD and upgrade only
::with YOU, as far as core components. Trying to lay K3 on Suse7.3 is just
::asking for it.
::
::But have lots of fun if you do!
::
::I'm just tellin' ya...

Sorry and I don't mean to offend you...but that's total crap. That is
such a "Windows Update" mentality.

How else is someone going to learn but to take a chance. Yes, the RPM's
on the SuSE ftp site have some issue, but you can go to ftp.kde.org
which gives you a base KDE3 install and it works just fine and even
imports your KDE2 settings. What gets people in trouble is thinking that
this will replace KDE2. Leave KDE2.x.x installed on your system and just
install kde3 in the directory it's suppose to go which is /opt/kde3. And
it will not interfere with KDE2.x.x .. you can even run KDE2 apps such
as the ones I run (ex. Licq and Kinkatta)

You have to go into /etc/rc.config and change the references from kde2
to kde3 and if you specified the directories for KDE and QT in your
.bashrc (the file that sets environment variables after login for your
shell) then you have to change it from kde2 to kde3. It's pretty much
that simple. I installed the KDE3 rpms from kde.org (which were made by
a SuSE employee) and haven't had much of an issue. I tried the ones on
SuSE's ftp site on my workstation in the office..this was a big
mistake..I had to revert to the kde.org builds.

If you have KDE and QT specified in your .bashrc or globally in
/etc/profile make sure it looks like this...

--

KDEDIR=/opt/kde3/
QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3

--

If it says kde2 then you will get all sorts of weird shit happening when
you try to load kde3 because the wrong places for KDE and QT are set as

Remember if one doesn't try to do anything new then one will learn
nothing and have no independence. Don't be afraid to screw things
up..this is not Windows ..everything is fixable outside of hardware
failure. You just have to have a little faith and know who to ask and
where to look. This is a great list for answers, but the don't touch it
and just trust the update tool is just crap. Once a person breaks things
enough they learn to fix it..how else do you think guru's are made? :)
They aren't born that way..it takes punishment and hard work to get
there. Heck people should even try compiling software..it may not be
easy at first..but damn when you get it all going it's very satisfying.
:)

/end of rant.

Cheers!

-=Ben

mailto:ben@xxxxxxxxx
--=====--
"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around the more I
think it might not be a bad thing." -GC

< Previous Next >