Re: [SLE] Postfix or Qmail vs. Sendmail.
  • From: Alessandro Dotti Contra <a.dotticontra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 20:23:19 +0200
Hi Brian,

Brian Durant wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I am concerned about the security of Sendmail, in comparison to Postfix or
> Qmail, but don't have much insight on the issues involved. Likewise, as I am
> a newbie to Linux, I am hoping to reduce the learning curve in my attempts to
> get Mutt to work the way I want it to. Would I be better off with Postfix or
> Qmail? What are the pros and cons? Where do Fetchmail and Procmail fit into
> the scheme of things?

I found postfix easier to configure and set up... the configuration
files are well commented, and it's shipped with lots of configuration
examples.
Very easy to set up, very flexible if you need a complex configuration.
There is an Howto (written for RedHat, but it doesn't matter so much)
out there...

At the end of your learning process you should have (retrieving mail):

ISP <- Fetchmail -> postfix -> procmail -> local mailbox <- mutt

and (sending mail):

mutt -> postfix -> ISP (or the outer world...)

Ciao
alex
--
Alessandro Dotti Contra