Re: [SLE] Automatic partition mounting on login?
  • From: Mike Coan <mikecoan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 17:02:58 -0500
David,

To quote from the excellent book Linux, Installation, Configuration, Use by
Michale Kofler

"The options gid=n, uid=n, and umask=m can be used to preset access
priviliges for files. This makes sense for files sytems in which this
information cannot be stored or cannot be evaluated by Linux (DOS, Windows,
OS/2). Without the use of this option, DOS files are owned by root; the
files can be read by all users, but only modified by root. The three options
allow more liberal access."

Back when I had a dual boot system, I had the following entry in my fstab

/dev/hda8 /windows/D vfat uid=500,user 0 0

This automatically mounted my vfat D drive and let me modify it.

Mike

--
Michael A. Coan
Woodlawn Foundation