Re: [SLE] Automatic partition mounting on login?
  • From: Tor Sigurdsson <tosi@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 20:04:55 +0000
On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 10:27:48AM -0800, David Herman wrote:
> On Friday 05 April 2002 02:40 am, Pep Serrano wrote:
> > Hello ally,
> >
> > First of all be sure you defined the "user" option in your fstab
> > allowing users to mount and umount this partition. And if you don't
> > want the partitions to be mounted at boot time (you want to mount
> > them at user login right?) then include the option "noauto" (do man
> > fstab).
>
> If I could jump in here.
>
> I've tried this (noauto) but the partitions don't automatically mount,
> they just mount when I click on my desktop icon (kde). If I use the
> "auto" option instead then the partitions are mounted (which I desire
> for my xmms playlist) but I cannot copy anything to the partition as a
> user (the partition is mounted read only for users?)
> I want the best of both worlds
>
> Thanks

Ok, I may be butting in here as I don't have all of the thread...

Is it NFS you are mounting ?

Then check out automount...

edit /etc/auto.misc

if directory /home/humbug on server_y is exported to you, then you would do either:

humbug server_y:/home:&

if the user "humbug" is a local user

or

whatever server_y:/home/humbug

which would add the /misc/whatever automatically whenever accessed

Automount unmounts after 5 minutes of inactivity

-tosi

--
Veni, vidi, vici
Mostly every great man in history