Re: Fwd: Re: [SLE] Suse 7.2 eating disk space
  • From: Nick Selby <php@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 19:17:03 +0200
Thanks everyone!

I've run it and it modified the filesystem.

Now my only problem is trying to discover why after losing those HUGE log files, my HD is still 96% full.

Thanks,

nick At 05:44 PM 4/3/2002 +0100, you wrote:
On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 05:23:03PM +0200, php@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
[snip]
> The command to repair the filesystem is (here we will take: /dev/sda5 as
> the damaged one):
> e2fsck -f -c -y /dev/sda5
>
> Would anyone here be able to tell me whether this is the proper procedure
> for me?

It looks about right. Personally, I'd use the fsck option which is 'do
nothing, but tell me about any problems' first. Once you've done that,
you can decide whether to try to fix the problems.

As to whether the general consensus is that your disk is fried - possibly
not. I'm just guessing based on the evidence. Lots of FAT errors and
trying to read beyond the end of the device seem to be a bit suspect.
I'm not an expert, but if I were in your situation, I'd be fscking
furiously by now. If there's nothing wrong, then fsck will tell you that,
and you'll have come away with the knowledge of what to do when you
think that your disk has been corrupted.

I'd still suggest printing and looking at your partititon table.

--
David Smith Work Email: Dave.Smith@xxxxxx
STMicroelectronics Home Email: David.Smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx