Re: [SLE] Suse 7.2 eating disk space
  • From: NIck Selby <php@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 14:07:52 +0200
Thanks, Dave,

No, but you shouldn't rm them. If you want to zero their contents, you
should:
cat /dev/null > /var/log/messages
etc.

Thanks much

However, I would look at the file first. I suggest running 'less' on the
file, since it is a good pager. It allows you to move to the end of the
file ('>'), then reverse search ('?') for a line *not* containing ('!')
a particular string. This should help you skip backwards past the
disk space errors.

I guess the problem here is that I don't quite know what I should be looking for. I see thousands of lines, minute by minute, from last night of Directory sread (sectir 0x21abd80b) failed
attempt to access beyond end of device
0:302: rw=0 want=282455046, limit=7189087

Can anyone help me with that one?

Nick

If you have enough space (!), you could run 'bzip2' on the messages-20020403
file, since that should reduce its size significantly, and give you some
working room. Of course, you will need enough space to hold both the
compressed and uncompressed versions simultaneously for a short period.
If you have separated your filesystem into different partitions, you could
put the zipped version on a different partition, since there should be
space on any partition which doesn't contain /var/log.

nice to know for the future!

PS: you don't need to quote as much as you did - particularly the whole
list welcome message and FAQ!!

doh!