From: Jyry Kuukkanen [mailto:jyry@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2002 3:46 PM
To: Drew J. Como
Cc: suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [SLE] MySQL

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Drew J. Como wrote:

All,

I have MySQL installed and working perfectly on my SuSE 7.2
system. Now, I would like to build a new version of MySQL
and run two database servers on the same physical machine.

If I do the standard (make && make install, etc), will it
make changes to the current installation? If yes, what can
I do to make them co-exist separately??

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Hello Drew,

When you compile and install MySQL from source, it installs under
/usr/local/mysql, so it does not conflict directly with the MySQL shipped
with SuSE.

However, they do conflict when started up as they listen to the same port,
or socket.
So, in order to avoid that, you should start, say, the one under
/usr/local/mysql with a some --listen-port swich with a different port
number and then adjust the clients to connect to either you wish to use.

I hope this helped. If not, ask again :-)

Cheers,
--Jyry

Kansainvälisten kisojen tulosteksteissä käytetään
kilpailijoiden nimiin äänestoainetta.