Re: [SLE] Defining /dev/video devices and modules at bootup
  • From: Derek Fountain <fountai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:26:06 +0000
Anyone out there know how in SuSE 7.3 to setup modules to load at bootup
for video devices and also give them the right /dev/video? I have 2 Cam's
and a Bttv and everytime I boot I have to modprobe the bttv because one of
the Cam's take /dev/video0 and it doesn't load the module at bootup. Thanks
in advance.

I have a PCI DC10+ video capture card, and a USB webcam. I arranged things so
the DC10+ is found at boot time, and thus gets /dev/video0, and the webcam is
probed later - from boot.local - thus getting /dev/video1. This makes it
consistent after every reboot.

You might need to do something similar - do what you want to do using
specific modprobes from boot.local. Depending on what the existing boot
process leaves you with, you might even need to rmmod some modules before
reloading them in the order you want.

--
9:20am up 22 days, 18:47, 2 users, load average: 0.18, 0.08, 0.03