Re: [SLE] Looking for ...
Just to add to the other comments. For the most part, Linux provides many
of the standard Unix system calls. However, each version of Unix (eg. Irix,
Tru64 Unix, HP-UX, Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris), have many extensions.
I have had my version of K&R since 1979, and learned C from it. The C
language has changed considerably and is now covered by an ISO standard.
There are many excellent books on C. I prefer those written by Harvey
Deitel (a former professor of mine). If you stick to ISO (ANSI) C your C
programs should be relatively portable across platforms. ISO C defines the
standard C library (mostly described in K&R).
Most C library and system calls are described by online man pages on SuSE
as well as other Unix systems. But you can also look at the header files
for some system calls.