Re: [SLE] STAROFFICE GOES COMMERCIAL, AND STAYS OPEN-SOURCE
  • From: Dave Smith <Dave.Smith@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:33:54 +0000
On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 10:35:45AM +0000, hwm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
There is so much talk that Star Office is no longer available as a free
bundle with
Linux Suse 7.3. or
8.0.

Everybody talks about alternative programs but I still do not know if it has
officially been
confirmed that Star Office will no longer be available free of charge.

AIUI,

Sun have removed the free beta of their new version (S06). When it
is released, 6.0 will be free for non-commercial use, but commercial
users will have to pay a license fee. I believe that SuSE and Sun
are in talks to work out an agreement to allow SuSE to distriubte SO
6.0 on their disks, but until this agreement is reached, they have
removed the 6.0 beta from the SuSE disks. I believe that SO 5.2
remains on the disks.

BTW, all this information is hearsay and rumour quoted from memory...

Earlier posts to the list give more details, and are more official sources
than myself.

HTH...

--
David Smith Work Email: Dave.Smith@xxxxxx