Re: [SLE] disabling virtual desktop
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 22:25:44 +0100
On Sunday 24 March 2002 22.02, John Scott wrote:
There used to be a desktop size option waaay back when I used Caldera
1.3 which was about 3 years ago. Don't know which XFree that was.
Haven't seen it in 4.x though I don't know that it doesn't exist. It
was used in the "screen" section after default depth. ...Not important,
just wondering if anyone was using something similar.

That's still there. It's "Virtual x y", but since it's static I didn't think
that was what you wanted. The virtual desktop isn't changed when you resize
with ctrl-alt-+. I read somewhere that this functionality is being worked on.

Some programs get around this by grabbing the mouse so you can't go outside
the window area, so you're tricked into thinking the virtual desktop has
changed even though it hasn't. That has to be done inside the program,
though.

I figured this second one out. sax keeps a copy in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/sax/files/XF86Config. If I changed both files then
my changes took efffect. I never had to do that before now so I don't
know what strangeness is happening with this config. I thought it might
be a new SuSEconfig mod of some sort. I can never tell what handmade
edits won't have effect because of some rc.config option that needs to
be changed.

No such file here (SuSE 7.3) Changes I make in /etc/X11/XF86Config take
effect.

//Anders