Re: [SLE] (Somewhat OT) Laser Printer....
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dougmack@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 19:39:43 -0500
Offhand, I am not familiar with either printer. However, I am familiar
with an HP printer that required the paper to be put in a slot and stick up
like out of a typewriter. DO NOT BUY ANY PRINTER THAT DOES NOT ALLOW THE
PAPER RESERVE TO LIE FLAT! Also, paper should be protected from the room
atmosphere, by being covered, or enclosed. If it is out in the air, it
absorbs moisture and sticks to itself in bundles, and beyond the obvious
problems, can jam the printer. In the US, one can get an HP Laserjet
1000 USB for $249, or a Laserjet 1200se for $399. There is a Panasonic
KX-P7100 for $279 that looks very nice. And a Brother HL-1440 for $299.
Check the Linux compatibility list to see if they work. Anything that will
print PostScript ought to work, BTW. I have a Laserjet 2200D, that prints
PS, and it works perfectly with Linux. But
you don't want to spend that much money for that printer.
Good luck. --doug