Re: [SLE] Starting out - advice pls.
  • From: Derek Fountain <fountai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 08:44:01 +0000
Version 8 is due in less than 60 days, as far as I can judge by
the words here. Why spend your money on 7.3, when you can get
8.0 ain just a few weeks?

Because you can have 7.3 now, then do an online upgrade in 6 weeks when 8.0
is on the servers?

BTW: if you buy 7.3 you will get it with
all its blunders that need to be fixed. They never correct the disk.
I don't know why.

They never correct the disks because they release a new package every 4
months (although 7.3 -> 8.0 has taken slightly longer). It's hardly worth
pressing a new bunch of CDs and trying to control what suppliers have in
stock when a whole new version is never more than a few months away. All the
updates are online anyway.

That said, I still think the idea of a mid-cycle update CD with all the
updated RPMs on it would be useful for those without a high speed connection.

Why not get 8.0, with all its blunders? Then
you and I can fix the blunders as they are found.

Because 7.3's "blunders" are fixed and all the updates are available right
now. You're clearly happy to be at the leading edge, as are many people.
Personally I'd rather be a bit behind it, safe in the knowledge that by the
time I hit a problem, guys like you will have got the fixes sorted for me. :)

--
8:35am up 14 days, 18:04, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.06, 0.07

< Previous Next >