Re: [SLE] StarOffice 6.0
  • From: Derek Fountain <fountai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 08:35:43 +0000
Sun will be charging for SO 6.0, thoough an actual price has not yet been
announced. OpenOffice will, of course, be a free download. Sun intends
to let educational institutions have StarOffice for just the cost of the
media and shipping (a good move!!) Even for industry, SOHO's and private
use, SO should be priced well below M$Office. And there's always the free
download of OpenOffice ;o)

I can't help thinking this is a smart move. You, I, and all the other
informed people on this list will use Openoffice, because it's free, SuSE
will (hopefully) put it on their disks, and is basically the same as
Staroffice. No problem there.

But there are a large bunch of manager types out there who maintain the
opinion that "if you can't pay Microsoft good money for it, it must be crap".
Sun can see that that idea applies to them. Bizarre world when it's easier to
sell something than give it away, but if that's what works, I can't see a
problem with it.

--
8:31am up 14 days, 18:00, 1 user, load average: 0.04, 0.07, 0.08

< Previous Next >