FTP upload using IE5 and through Squid
  • From: Luke Loh <lloh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 17:39:56 +1100
Dear List

Scenario:
For security reasons, all connections to the internet have to go through a
proxy server (no masquerading). A user needs to be able to upload files to a
remote ftp site (updating web pages for company website).

Question:
I understand that squid only talks FTP on the server side and will only
serve FTP through HTTP requests (from the squid FAQ). AFAIK, you cannot use
WU-FTP or other FTP clients using squid as a proxy.

However, IE5 comes with a built-in FTP client (full-fledged) - has anyone
ever got IE5 FTP uploads to work through squid?

If not, what are my options? Do I have to install the SuSE ftp-proxy suite?

Thank you and regards

Luke Loh
Senior Network Engineer
Nicholls Price Pty Ltd