Setting default url handlers
I previously asked this question on the Opera for Linux mailing list and
(in essence) I was told that Linux is inferior to Windows in that it
does not have any global mechanism by which to associate file types (eg.
htm,html) with a specific application (eg. Opera). I find it difficult
to believe that in all the man years of Unix / Linux development such an
elementary mechanism has been totally ignored and / or overlooked.

I use KDE under SuSE 7.3 kernel 2.4.10 and my preferred e-mail client is
Evolution, with my preferred browser being Opera. By accessing the Gnome
control panel via the Evolution "Pilot Links" menu option, I have been
able to set Document Handlers -> Default Applications -> Web Browser to
open urls with Opera. This works OK, but this option doesn't work if I
try to add any Opera command line parameters (eg. -newwindow).
Consequently, when I select a url from within an Evolution message the
url is opened in the currently active Opera window. What I want is for
the url to be opened in a new Opera window.

I am currently using a really crap work-around, by switching to Opera
and opening a new blank window, switching back to Evolution and
selecting the required url.

Can anyone on this list help me with this.

TIA

Dave

< Previous Next >