Installing From source and RPM database
  • From: Darren Harmon <darren.harmon1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 22:55:28 +0000
Hi;
Just to let people know, I've been using a program called checkinstall.

http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/

Then whenever you install anything from source, instead of typing make
install, you type (as root) checkinstall. This installs the package as
normal, but it also builds an RPM (interactively, you can actually choose
between RPM, debian or slackware package, and add your own comments) and
amends the database. Then when you want to remove the program later on you
can remove it via YaST.

One slight problem (SuSE 7.2), it places the checkinstall bin in a strange
location, which I have to copy to the sbin directory.

---------
Darren Harmon
http://users.breathemail.net/darren.harmon1/