Re: Fwd: [SLE] ViewSonic config problem. (Was Nvidia 3D driver problems and SAX2)
On Sunday 17 March 2002 01:13 am, Brian Durant wrote:
On Saturday 16 March 2002 10:25, you wrote:
I got my desktop real estate back the way it should be! The simplest
solution proved to be the best solution. After having fidled with SAX2 and
some of the things that Curtis suggested, I simply went into YAST2 and
selected the default ViewSonic E 70-3 (which is not my monitor, it is in
actuality a ViewSonic E-70) and then I adjusted the frequency up to 70 but
otherwise left the default settings of:

Fh:30-70kHz  (Horizontal)
Fv:50-120Hz  (Vertical)

rather than trying to push the monitor to it's actual settings of:

Fh:30-70kHz  (Horizontal)
Fv:50-160Hz  (Vertical)

The issue that started this whole cabal about my desktop real estate was
that I don't get an NVidia splash screen at startup and am unsure about the
extent to which the 3D drivers are performing as they should. So in that
sense, the problem is not yet solved. However, I have found out that
through the various settings changes for my monitor that there have not
been any changes with regards to NVidia driver performance that I could
detect or have the changes brought the splash screen back.

Cheers,

Brian

Congratulations!

I suspect that your 3D acceleration is working; perhaps you could repost the
output of gears for everyone's benefit to see if they concur. Here is my
output for a Riva TNT card:

No acceleration:

390 frames in 5.009 seconds = 77.860 FPS
399 frames in 5.011 seconds = 79.625 FPS

With acceleration:

4758 frames in 5.000 seconds = 951.600 FPS
4834 frames in 5.000 seconds = 966.800 FPS
4834 frames in 5.000 seconds = 966.800 FPS

Note that I lost about 40 fps when I upgraded to the latest NVIDIA drivers,
version 2808 :(

-ronc

< Previous Next >