Re: [SLE] cd /usr/src/linux
  • From: Dave Smith <Dave.Smith@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 17:54:07 +0000
On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 12:41:00AM +0700, durant@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
OK, anyway I can test this before I shutdown? I have completed all the steps.
Thanks to all for the help.

Well, you get something along the lines of

added linux*
added suse
added memtest86

at the end of 'make bzlilo'. Also, the various stages of make should
end relatively hopefully (i.e. not shouting "ERROR!" all over the place...

But no, you can't test a kernel without booting it. If you want, you can
'make bzdisk' instead of 'make bzlilo' to make a bootable floppy instead
of overwriting your installation, or if you're up for a bit more hacking,
you could add an extra boot option to the lilo.conf, and install your
kernel image in a different place, but this is for people who know more
about what they're doing :-)

Of course, the 'suse' option should remain, in case you stuff up your
default kernel.

BTW, Nils, I thought you said this was easy!

It is. :-)
(relatively).

To a long-time linux user, compiling a kernel, playing around with lilo
configurations, etc. is almost second nature. To a new user, it can be
a little bewildering, but it's pretty easy if you just follow the steps.

--
David Smith Work Email: Dave.Smith@xxxxxx
STMicroelectronics Home Email: David.Smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

< Previous Next >