openoffice/KDE irregularity
  • From: David Herman <ob1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 22:10:32 -0800
I recently installed openoffice641 on a SuSE7.2 pro, athlon box
w/KDE2.2.2.

Things seemed to work well so I installed it for each user (It seemed
stupid to have to install 180mb for each user but I couldn't find any
info about smaller user installs).

Anyway after having installed it for the 4 users it stopped working
for 2 of them (the first 2). If I try to run swriter from the command
line the only output is:
"//HACK: No such file or directory"
I think this is normal for swriter (at least on my box).
Then the message "Segmantation fault"

I've looked for other error messages in various logs but found nothing.

If I try to re-run the setup program from the install directory (for
either of the 2 users that it doesn't work for) the first progress
meter loads and runs then quits. I've been able to install and
uninstall w/out problems under the other 2 users logins.

Tonight I got a wild hair and tried running swriter under gnome for one
of the broken users and it loaded just fine so I suspect a problem w/
my KDE config. (I know that there were no kde config changes between
install and the break for at least one of the 2 users which won't
work).

I've just got no Idea which of the zillions of files in .kde/.kde2
would relate to this problem.

The open office web site didn't lead me anywhere.

I will greatly appreciate any ideas.
thanks
--
dh