Re: [SLE] any cons
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 22:00:07 +0100
On Sunday 10 March 2002 21.46, Richard Bos wrote:
Humm, that is interesting. I assume that at the moment YaST knows that
SuSEconfig needs to run. But what will happen if people start installing
"alien" (e.g. RH) packages? At first this is not possible via YOU, so one
must download the package(s) manually, after which YaST can probably
install it and run SuSEconfig. I doubt that this goes perfectly well for
difficult packages (like kde and the like). More simple packages (e.g.
perl modules) this will be okay. Well I'm looking forward to the LSB
decade, it gives interesting opertunities and challenges :))

Note that in the vast majority of cases, SuSEconfig doesn't actually *need* to
run when you install a new package. It only does anything useful for a select
few SuSE-designed packages. Most of the time you get the exact same result
with rpm -ivh, only in shorter time ;)

//Anders

< Previous Next >