Re: [SLE] USB devices appear as SCSI devices
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dougmack@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 20:53:05 -0500

What _I_ heard, was that the hard-drive connection was a
subset of the SCSI interface. I don't remember where, it
was a long time ago. --doug

At 23:35 03/08/2002 +0100, wolfi wrote:
On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 14:42, Keith Winston wrote:

(...) What I've always wondered though is why they appear as SCSI
devices. (...)

Yes Keith, this is somewhat peculiar, but AFAIK Linux can handle several
things only as SCSI, and if they ain't SCSI, they will be camouflaged as
SCSI:-) - Just think of the ide-scsi story with the CD writers, one of
our favourite issues, not a single day passes without that:-)
And, but I am not sure about that, I heared, that SCSI is more basic
than all the other interfaces, and all the other interfaces do at least
some sort of SCSI deep down in their guts, but that was only a story I
heared and didn't really understand:-) In fact, didn't even try
honestly, why bother as long as it works:-)

Cheers ... Wolfi