RE: [SLE] giving users permission to open ports below 1025
  • From: Eric Carbone <ERIC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 10:33:42 -0500
I am not using suse firewall 2 :-(

---------------------------
Eric Carbone
MOR Printing, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Piet Roorda [mailto:prooroa@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 10:28 AM
To: suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [SLE] giving users permission to open ports below 1025

Eric Carbone wrote:

CrushFTP is a java-based FTP server.

I would like to change the settings so that it is running on port 21.

(right now it's using port 2100 and my clients are unable to connect; I
suspect it is because they are behind a firewall that doesn't have port
2100
open?)

In any case, when I tell CrushFTP to use port 21, it tells me that 'port 21
is in use'

I logged in as root and typed 'netstat -lpn' and nothing is using port 21
!!

So I e-mailed CrushFTP tech support and here's the reply:

Login as root and run CrushFTP...

The problem is that users who are not root do not have permission to open
ports below 1025.

It's your OS that issues that demand.

So, I guess my question is this:

I would assume that logging in as root and running CrushFTP is not a good
idea, so how can I change permissions for my other login name so that I can
open port 21?

Thanks,

Eric Carbone

if you use susefirewall2, I just found out, you can set via yast2 at
Susefirewall2, look in services: FW_SERVICES_EXT_TCP 21
with www.grc.com you can do a port check and you will see port21 is open
piet