Re: [SLE] New (large) HDD: Is my data safe?
  • From: Dave Smith <Dave.Smith@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 15:48:38 +0000
On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 02:17:28PM +0000, simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
[snip]
This all works. My computer starts, ez-bios finds the active partition
on my initial drive and starts bootmagic, which in turn boots lilo off
my /boot partition, loads the kernel and mounts my original root
partition... However, (and here's my question) I'm still worried that
because their web site said EZ-Bios is NOT compatible with linux and NT,
that I shouldn't be doing this. I've successfully created a 38Gb
reiserfs partition on the new drive, and linux can see it's full
capacity, but I'm worried that my data won't be safe on here. Does
anyone understand the technical reasons why it's not supposed to work?
Is it simply a booting issue, which I seem to have resolved, or is it
something more fundamental about the way linux reads and writes to the
disk, which will eventually bite me if I start putting data that I want
to keep on this new drive?

I don't know any detail about EZ-Bios, but in general...

The problem with large disks is usually due to incompatibilities with
older PC BIOSs. Since Linux does not use the BIOS to access the disk
(preferring to talk to the IDE controller directly), once Linux has
booted, it's usually fine. In particular, providing a BIOS doesn't have
a fit when it detects the large HDD, it's usually possible to boot the
kernel from a smaller (master) disk, and then run from the larger (slave)
disk. You may not even have to tell the BIOS that the second disk exists,
or maybe just give it false information about the size.

Sorry for the lengthy post,

Not a problem, but wrapping your lines at ~72 characters (as I've done
above) will gain you more friends... :-)

--
David Smith Tel: +44 (0)1454 462380 (direct)
STMicroelectronics Fax: +44 (0)1454 617910