Re: [SLE] email client and Yahoo smtp
  • From: pat <4july65@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 09:57:49 -0500
* Derek Fountain <fountai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [03-07-02 09:25] crowed:
On Thursday 07 March 2002 2:15 pm, you wrote:
I just read a web page about this. Check :
http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/cmail3.html#smtp

I don't think that's quite the same thing as Yahoo are doing. Yahoo have
blocked their outbound SMTP server from those who don't have an account an
password. Polling for mail doesn't (as far as I know) disable the outbound
authentication requirement.

Polling for mail requires a password to be delivered before access is
granted. That is how they accomplish authorization for smtp. They
will not accept mail delivered from you unless you first accomplish a
pop access (fetchmail does this for you). Look at you ~/.fetchmailrc
file, it contains your password for each account you poll for mail.
--
Pat Shanahan Registered Linux User #207535
Registered at: http://counter.li.org

< Previous Next >