Re: [SLE] (Newbie alert) Mutt for dummies?
  • From: Dave Smith <Dave.Smith@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 10:12:24 +0000
On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 04:54:13PM +0700, durant@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

I have been recommended to try Mutt as my e-mail client of choice, so that I
can get multilingual features. The problem is that after having looked at the
MAN pages and the 2 main Mutt manual sites, I feel like a blurting idiot. Is
there someone that is kind enough to help me out with the basics? Like, how
do I setup an account? I have never used a consol based e-mail client on Win,
Mac or now Linux, so I am really helpless.

Don't despair. :-)

Have you tried just running 'mutt' and seeing what happens? If you use a
local mbox-type mail spool, and have a correct sendmail/postfix/whatever
setup, it should mostly work out of the box.

Alternatively, we'll need to know some information about your setup:

Where does your mail come from? How is it delivered? (SMTP/POP/IMAP)

If your mail is delivered by POP/IMAP, do you want to connect to the
server online, or perform batch downloads for reading offline?

Do you have a sendmail/postfix/whatever setup on your machine?

If you wish, you can post to me off-list directly.

--
David Smith Tel: +44 (0)1454 462380 (direct)
STMicroelectronics Fax: +44 (0)1454 617910